gorillaz.com :: View topic - Got the music, lost the attitude...
Look for posts from Noodle Look for posts from Murdoc Look for posts from Russel Look for posts from 2D  
FAQ SEARCH MEMBERS LIST PROFILE REGISTER LOGIN
forum list Kong studios Gorillaz fan site

Forum List - Graduates Chat - Got the music, lost the attitude...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

P O S T S
  strike 2

Omnion posted this on Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:27 pm | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

Got the music, lost the attitude...

Who agrees?

When Gorillaz started out, they were so cool it defied belief: the Graffiti, the mental album sleeves, the G-Sides art, the rawness....the music wasn't really great, though.

When Demon Days came, the music was tremendous, great stuff! BUT WHERE WAS THE ATTITUDE! Gorillaz are now a bit perverted and just too far-out in an uncool way.

WE WANT THE GORILLAZ COOL BACK!

death666babe posted this on Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:30 pm | View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailMSN MessengerReply with quote

i agree that i was drawn in by the mindnumbing feeling of the band, just the vibe of gorillaz, but now you say you dont like them cause they grew a soul and are deeper than before? i love both albums equally but they wouldnt be the same if they came out with a second cd with the exact same feel as the first.

strike 2

Omnion posted this on Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:31 pm | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by death666babe:
i agree that i was drawn in by the mindnumbing feeling of the band, just the vibe of gorillaz, but now you say you dont like them cause they grew a soul and are deeper than before? i love both albums equally but they wouldnt be the same if they came out with a second cd with the exact same feel as the first.

Whoa, what?! I love Gorillaz, it's just the band themselves (the promotional artt, videos) aren't cool. The atmosphere has gone. The music was seperate.

turkatron posted this on Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:46 pm | View user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerReply with quote

The attitude is still there, at least i think, but it is more subtle. Well, in my opinion of this, I think they quieted down for the effect of a band that's "regrouping" after their seperate trials. I mean, the band went through a lot from what is said, it wouldn't make sense to have as much zest and rawness after trying to find themselves. I like to think od Demon Days as a time of inner reflection for the Gorillaz. They express themselves through the music more than through their art and image. They are growing up, just like anyone else would.

wonder_fall posted this on Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:53 pm | View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN MessengerReply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by turkatron:
The attitude is still there, at least i think, but it is more subtle. Well, in my opinion of this, I think they quieted down for the effect of a band that's "regrouping" after their seperate trials. I mean, the band went through a lot from what is said, it wouldn't make sense to have as much zest and rawness after trying to find themselves. I like to think od Demon Days as a time of inner reflection for the Gorillaz. They express themselves through the music more than through their art and image. They are growing up, just like anyone else would.

*nods* exactly

ピクスイとエマ - Pixie tha kawaii bi ^^

Dahaka posted this on Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:55 pm | View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ NumberReply with quote

Tru-tru looking at gorillaz [1] they were much drugged up. Then gorillaz [2] CAME, LOOKING LIKE FRESH "NERDS" AS YOU CALL IT. nOW I THINK THEY ARE GETTING THERE COLLNESS BACK BY GORILLAZ [3]

(BritIsh SniPeR} posted this on Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:06 pm | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

I can't help but think that they deliberatly became more pop friendly, possibly the record company stepping in.

Dahaka posted this on Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:14 pm | View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ NumberReply with quote

To sell more records, lol. IMagine what drug 2d would sell. Hmm.

bassman posted this on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:39 am | View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailReply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by (BritIsh SniPeR}:
I can't help but think that they deliberatly became more pop friendly, possibly the record company stepping in.

I'd like to think so too. Especially with tracks like Feel Good Inc. However, demon days does have some definately non-commercial tracks. I.e. Don't Get lost in heaven, and White Light.

Gh0st posted this on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:55 am | View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteReply with quote

I don't really think there's any change in attitude, it's just the way the music is being made that changed. The first album was them playing around with different musical styles and just having fun, not sure if it would be a hit. Demon Days is more thought out and calculated, because this time they knew they had fans to please. I myself kinda miss the freedom of the first album, art tends to change when it becomes more self-conscious, but even they predicted it themselves and Demon Days is still undeniably creative.

Still Tokin posted this on Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:14 am | View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerReply with quote

yeah I'd agree there not the same they were, but there not that much diffrent to me. not for the worse or any thing but there demon days music Videos have been a let down to me feel good inc was good and the others are fine, but im not likein the real life chracters bein in the video's with the Gorillaz members. I know they have to introduce the artist featured in the songs but still I didnt like the ideai.

I also beleave the first album was just as good as demon days. but so far the best music video they have done is clint eastwood. strange but good video with one of there best songs. Tomorrow comes today is one video i seem to like a lot more than others, probaly jus cause its a really good track.

(BritIsh SniPeR} posted this on Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:42 pm | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

Yeah, I like the TCT video for its simplicity. I just really like it.
I think that adding in the people is again to make people associate the song with their favourite rappers, I really want to see a 100% Gorillaz phase 2 video!

Nook29 posted this on Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:12 pm | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

I agree that the style the actual band has been portrayed in has changed, but videos such as the MTV Cribs video still show just how cool and funny Gorillaz actually are.

And I think if the music getting better takes away some of the bands coolness, so be it.

maromi posted this on Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:28 pm | View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerReply with quote

Re: Got the music, lost the attitude...

quote:
Originally posted by Omnion:
Who agrees?

When Gorillaz started out, they were so cool it defied belief: the Graffiti, the mental album sleeves, the G-Sides art, the rawness....the music wasn't really great, though.

When Demon Days came, the music was tremendous, great stuff! BUT WHERE WAS THE ATTITUDE! Gorillaz are now a bit perverted and just too far-out in an uncool way.

WE WANT THE GORILLAZ COOL BACK!

i agree with everything you just said mhm

perhaps el manana will be just gorillaz Shocked i hope anyways...

TheBrainyOne posted this on Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:57 pm | View user's profileSend private messageMSN MessengerReply with quote

I feel that Gorillaz is just maturing. As the ppl above stated, they do grow up.