gorillaz.com :: View topic - Bassman's Guide to using the search function.
Look for posts from Noodle Look for posts from Murdoc Look for posts from Russel Look for posts from 2D  
FAQ SEARCH MEMBERS LIST PROFILE REGISTER LOGIN
forum list Kong studios Gorillaz fan site

Forum List - New Around Here? - Bassman's Guide to using the search function.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

P O S T S

bassman posted this on Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:14 pm | View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailReply with quote

Bassman's Guide to using the search function.

Hey you! Yeah, you! Thinking about making a new topic? I don't blame you, the "New Topic" button is there for a reason. It's also a way to get a lot of respect and get your name in the door. But it can easily be a way to get yourself "flamed" or "Insulted' by other members (Probably due to the quality and content of the topic, see the N00b's Guide for more info). A lot of times, you think you may have come across something great, and you want to share it with the online community, or you have an opinion. Which is fine, but a lot of times, the topic may have been discussed (sometimes to the brink of numbness) and a member will say "Use the search function next time". You are clueless! You don't know what to do! You hear people say it sucks. Well, it doesn't. Here's where I come in.

Ahh, the OMB search function. Many claim it to be flawed, many don't know how to use it, many don't know where it is. "All will be revealed", as Robert Plant said in Kashmir. First off, the search function can be accessed clicking on the "Search" link under the "Gorillaz" logo on the top left corner of your screen. You will then be directed to the search interface.

Wow! What is this! It looks like the flight deck of a 747! When in reality, is quite a simple programme. (Don't worry about the highlights in the picture).

Let me give you a tour. (From the top down). The first thing you see is the search query box. This box is where you type the item you search for. To the left of this, you see a bunch of text with NOT, OR, AND and such words underlined and much resembling a technical manual. Don't worry about that, It's quite simple. When searching for an object, you can place the words "AND, OR, NOT" between words to affect the search. Lets say I just type "Cherry Tree". I get 2724. This is because the search engine, by default puts an "OR" between the words, which meants it is searching for Both the words Cherry and Tree but not neccesarily in the same post . That's not what you want. You don't want to sift through that. You can type "Cherry AND Tree" and you will get 18 posts which mention both cherry and tree in the same post. You can also type "Cherry NOT Tree", which will just search for the word "Cherry". You can also put the asterisk "*" if you are unsure of the spelling of a word. For example, searching for "Cher*" will find you searches for "Cherry" and also for anything containing "Cher"

The next thing you will see is the two buttons saying "Search for any terms" and "search for all terms". Don't worry about these. I won't go into detail about this, but it is pretty much pointless.

The next thing you see is another query box, this time it says "Search for Author". This is VERY useful (hence why it is highlighted on the picture) as you can find specific instances where a certain person said something. For example, lets say you want to find out exactly how many times user "2-Dandmurdoc" said the word "Gorillaz", you could simply put "Gorillaz" in the top box, and "2-Dandmurdoc" in the author box and you will get your full 203 matches. As always, if you are unsure of the spelling of the author's name, you can just put "2*" which will look for posts by anyone else with 2 in their name.

Looking down, you will get options. All of these options are used to make your search more specific. So using the "Forum" drop-menu you can specify from which forum your results should come from. Using the "Category" menu, you can switch between searches coming between the forum categories (There's "Gorillaz" and "Extras. If you look on the messageboard index, the topics from "New Around Here" to "King Happenings" are titled "Gorillaz", and the topics from "News to Search for a Star" are titled "Extras".) You won't really need this. The next option is the "Display Results as" function. This one is CRUCIAL. When I'm looking for posts, I want my search results displayed as posts. When I'm looking for a specific topic, I want my results displayed as topics. This is probably one of the bigger reasons why people say this search sucks, as people get their results in topics when they need posts (It is highlited for importance). The next option you see is the "Return First Characters" drop-box. This box simply selects how many characters of text you Want in the search results. The "Sort By" option allows you to see how the results are displayed to you and in which order, descending means it will show from the most recent post to the oldest. "Search Previous" lets you pick how far back you want to search.

And finally, there's the search button! You click on that and it Returns the results to you! The results can be slightly confusing. When the results are returned to you in posts, the Topic link on the top left brings you to the start of the topic, whereas the subject link on the mid-right brings you to the desired post.

That's pretty much all you have to know. So now you can't say "The Search engine sucks" because A) you know how to use it and B) You have realised just how specific of a post you can set it for.

KAY?

evilmouse posted this on Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:30 pm | View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailReply with quote

This should be stickied.

2-J posted this on Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:33 pm | View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteReply with quote

Wahoo!

mastermarcos1138 posted this on Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:36 pm | View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerReply with quote

Wow, that was fast. Shocked

GStick posted this on Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:08 pm | View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteReply with quote

Well that didn't take you very long bass.

evilmouse posted this on Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:26 pm | View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailReply with quote

I KNEW IT!!!

bassist posted this on Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:37 pm | View user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerReply with quote

everything bassman says shall be stickied lol

Callin Fear posted this on Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:53 am | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

Why didnt you just stick this in the N00bs guide?

x_nina_x posted this on Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:54 am | View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteReply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Callin Fear:
Why didnt you just stick this in the N00bs guide?

Ha. Sadly it wouldn't get noticed there.

IWontGetOverTheDam posted this on Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:48 pm | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

This should be viewed by everyone on the planet.

jonathanswailesh posted this on Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:08 pm | View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerReply with quote

I've seen a video of this...

satsuma posted this on Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:41 pm | View user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerReply with quote

how sad is it that I've been here since the beginnig of the year and only now do I know how to use the search!yay! woohoo! thanks bass! Very Happy Wink

Dark_Wolf posted this on Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:12 am | View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerReply with quote

Bassman, does your brilliance ever end? But seriously folks, if you think you got something good to say, use the search button. I rarely use it, seeing as though I rarely start topics, but if I do end up starting one, I search it. This will indeed keep from getting the stuffing flamed out of you, and it will also build up good reputation. Sooo in a nutshell, use the almighty search button!

Strongbad posted this on Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:55 am | View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerReply with quote

Wow, there are people that couldn't figure out the search function on their own? Sad.
Anyway, n00bs need to read this as well as the n00bs guide.

2-d2.0 posted this on Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:40 am | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Strongbad:
Wow, there are people that couldn't figure out the search function on their own? Sad.
Anyway, n00bs need to read this as well as the n00bs guide.

Yeah man, they needed bassman's help on this one. Basically bassman has to wipe their arses for them. Feel sorry for the guy.