gorillaz.com :: View topic - This place is.... thread(Discussion of forums Life or Death)
Look for posts from Noodle Look for posts from Murdoc Look for posts from Russel Look for posts from 2D  
FAQ SEARCH MEMBERS LIST PROFILE REGISTER LOGIN
forum list Kong studios Gorillaz fan site

Forum List - General chit-chat - This place is.... thread(Discussion of forums Life or Death)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 65, 66, 67  Next

P O S T S

spyder1070 posted this on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:38 am | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE!! (gurgle, gargle, blargle)

noodlefoo posted this on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:48 pm | View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerReply with quote

Exclamation

SR4N0K posted this on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:26 pm | View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteReply with quote

nostalgia x infinity

spyder1070 posted this on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:27 pm | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

Nostalgia!?

Shadow Colosuss posted this on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:01 am | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

Nostalgia.

spyder1070 posted this on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:29 am | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

Ahh nostalgia.

I was kind of sitting here wondering, now that Albarn appears to be serious about making that so called 'Rillaz album, if this would get some people back here. Or alternatively, bring back the GU I suppose.

Maybe the latter, given the dark level of nostalgia that is creeping about this place?

Either way, the fact that we have all grown beyond the angst of youth and matured somewhat, may bring out a much more serious approach to all things Gorillaz. Much less nastiness and far more serious debate at least. Do we really need moderating at this stage of our lives? I hope not, but then there's always that one guy isn't there.

*sigh.

Shadow Colosuss posted this on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:31 am | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by spyder1070:
Ahh nostalgia.

I was kind of sitting here wondering, now that Albarn appears to be serious about making that so called 'Rillaz album, if this would get some people back here. Or alternatively, bring back the GU I suppose.

Maybe the latter, given the dark level of nostalgia that is creeping about this place?

Either way, the fact that we have all grown beyond the angst of youth and matured somewhat, may bring out a much more serious approach to all things Gorillaz. Much less nastiness and far more serious debate at least. Do we really need moderating at this stage of our lives? I hope not, but then there's always that one guy isn't there.

*sigh.

Hm, you've got a point there. I dunno. I probably won't be present for it much, considering I'm not as much of a fan as I used to be. Blasphemous? At one point, that was. Anyhoo, I dunno.

spyder1070 posted this on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:41 am | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

Many may say the same thing, I guess.

I'm not as fixated as I once was, however I still wouldn't mind grabbing some of those old topics and reviewing them again with fresh eyes. Especially given what we know now, about Plastic Beach and such I mean. Was there a hint or clue thrown in there somewhere, or was it all simply thrown down in a kind of knee-jerk way?

It'd be interesting to see what people think about how it all ended up anyway.

IMO

Shadow Colosuss posted this on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:52 am | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

Quite. However, I must make the admission that after Demon Days, my interest in 'rillaz started to fade. The music no longer piqued my interest, and the projects that Mr. Albarn and Mr. Hewlett were creating no longer captivated me. I'd say, in all honesty, my interest waned when they were working on Monkey: Journey to the West. My favorite phases were one and two. When I made this silly little account when I was a kid, I didn't even know Demon Days was a concept album & I guess I just loved the mildly crestfallen tone the songs had. It wasn't until later that I discovered all of this. I'm not even into Blur, which I know a lot of old fans and users of this site also had a penchant for. Regardless, if another album is released (I'm thinking it'll be released digitally, a lot of bands are discarding actual albums), I may give it a listen and put forth my two cents.

spyder1070 posted this on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:07 am | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

I was a Death Metal fan that had inadvertently found the first (self titled) album in the wrong section at the music store and bought it assuming that it was a new band. This is soooooo far out of my usual musical comfort zone, that it circles around a whole other star. lol

I had spent so long trawling through the old topics that I had begun to get the idea that being a Gorillaz fan required much patience. As intrigued by Journey to the West I was, I was far more interested in which direction J&D intended Gorillaz to go. So I almost completely ignored the show and such. I never went to see it either. To say that I was disappointed is very much an understatement, but there again it doesn't mean that there isn't enough there to get the brain cells pumping.

I suppose you need to be a certain kind of person to want to go to the trouble? I guess we'll see.

Shadow Colosuss posted this on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:20 am | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

To be frank, I was never much into music in terms of listening to various artists and musicians who were hugely popular. I supposed I've just never had any inclination to mainstream music, even though one could argue Gorillaz has become mainstream, or always was mainstream. Gorillaz was one of the few bands I could actually say I was a fan of and I even owned some mild Gorillaz paraphernalia. T-shirts, mostly.

And haha, don't worry, sometimes, the best inventions, ideas, and discoveries are made completely by mistake. So you happened to find a gem. Congrats.

My memory's a bit foggy at the moment, but was Journey to the West a play? In all honesty, theater does not hold my interest a whole lot, although I know some plays are good. I honestly never had any sort of impetus to go see that play, and in reality, I thought that that was a sign that maybe Damon or Jamie, or whoever was working on that project or if it was both of them, was a tall-tale sign that they were losing interest in working on Gorillaz. But that's just me.

spyder1070 posted this on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:39 am | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

JTTW, was a musical play, filled with acrobats... Or something like that? I'm guessing, obviously. Perhaps someone will come along, eventually, and answer that far better.

Now you have a reason to consider checking back here at some point in the future.

I pretty much bought everything, aside from the personalised vibrators and the demon shaped lamp. I suppose I believed that there was far more life in the idea than J&D intended it to have?

Truthfully though, when EMI cut their funding it made things far more difficult for them. I'm not one hundred percent certain, and maybe someone far better informed can come in and correct me if this is the case, but I think that was why they concentrated much of their effort on JTTW. They were planning to use the profits to fund more Gorillaz stuff. I can't recall, but I think I read that somewhere, or something like that? It may just as easily have been a fan theory that I'm inadvertently attaching to J&D and if that turns out to have been the case, please feel free to completely ignore it.

Shadow Colosuss posted this on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:00 pm | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

Haha, I had no idea they have made merchandise like that! Then again, there's a market for people like that out there. Hm, well, if what you're saying is the truth, then that would make a lot of sense. I had no idea EMI had cut their funding. That's a pretty strange thing, since, well this is more like an assumption on my part, but I thought Gorillaz was a cash cow for EMI. I guess not. And in addition to that, I wonder why they simply didn't create another Gorillaz-based project? Well, I guess most artists don't want to be considered one-trick ponies, so they wanted to mix things up. I've read somewhere from an official news source a VERY long time ago that Jamie Hewlett stated he was sick of drawing Gorillaz members. I wouldn't be surprised, I'd get sick of it as well if that was all I was made to draw.

Regardless, I'll take your word with a grain of salt since even you're unsure of it, but I wouldn't doubt it to be truthful.

spyder1070 posted this on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:09 pm | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

I believe that they (EMI) made the mistake of assuming that the Gorillaz bubble had burst. J&D apparently couldn't convince them otherwise and in the end moved on. Zombie Flesh Eaters ran out of money and had to shut up shop as well, and I think that the lack of funding meant that much of what J&D wished to do couldn't be done.

They did bring out the "Bananaz" video, which was basically a documentary of all the behind the scenes Gorillaz stuff.

The argument and tension brought everything else to a head in the end.

Shadow Colosuss posted this on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:15 pm | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

Hm, interesting to know. Well, hopefully, they can cast their differences aside, and hopefully, EMI will put them back. Gorillaz put virtual bands on the map.