gorillaz.com :: View topic - PHASE 4 ANY DAY NOW GET ON THAT HYPE great
Look for posts from Noodle Look for posts from Murdoc Look for posts from Russel Look for posts from 2D  
FAQ SEARCH MEMBERS LIST PROFILE REGISTER LOGIN
forum list Kong studios Gorillaz fan site

Forum List - General chit-chat - PHASE 4 ANY DAY NOW GET ON THAT HYPE great

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

P O S T S

BassEmUp posted this on Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:59 pm | View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailReply with quote

I came back just due to the Jamie Hewlett update.

First: I can't believe this forum is still here, and people still (somewhat) post in it! I'm amazed! It's been, great, I dunno...almost 5 years since I've been here? Something like that. Damn!

*cools his jets*

Anyways, I think if he just finds a dang producer, that will take care of the lackluster Phase 3 music.

I mean have you guys heard all of the random "b sides" (term used lightly) and cut tracks from Plastic Beach? Some of it is purely fantastic, or could have been if fully recorded. The alternate Glitter Freeze sounds straight out of Phase 2.

Or how about all of the music used in the Teaser Videos? That "Mr. Light" song sounded like heaven.

Basically, Damon needed a third party saying "Keep that track, don't get rid of it, it's beautiful!" to keep it all together, and he didn't have that.

So, what about this next one?

Unfortunately, Danger Mouse is out of the question, since he will be busy with the Red Hot Chili Peppers album at around the same time.

Maybe the return of Dan the Automator? They DID work together again on Deltron: Event II. You never know, right? Though maybe Damon doesn't want to hype up the new album to be a repeat of self-titled, which I get. That would happen with Danger Mouse/Demon Days, too.

So, whatever happens, I'm glad he keeps making new music, and I'm glad that will be Gorillaz at some point. He's busier than he's ever been!

*continues to cool jets*

Ahhhhh, good to be back.

spyder1070 posted this on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:20 pm | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

Simply because I don't get it, because I'm a consumer and not one that is inclined to get into the depths of what makes an album a good one; I just sit back and listen to the tunes and decide from how much or how little they move me, if they're good ones. I've been reading what you have been talking about but eh... In the interviews that I read, Damon said there was enough material left over from writing the Blur album to throw together a Gorillaz one. In my mind they would be separate things with a different feeling and thought process behind them, otherwise all it would be is a leftover Blur album? Bringing in someone else to produce would add to that "feeling" and turn it away from just being Blurs soggy leftovers, right? Which is why "Fall" and "Plastic Beach", for example, didn't sound like the previous albums. Because he produced them himself and the vibe shifted away from being Gorillaz and more towards what he is more familiar with, Blur-ish.

Is that right or am I still floundering in the pool and getting no closer to the edge?

Oh, and hello Bass.

BassEmUp posted this on Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:57 pm | View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailReply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by spyder1070:
Simply because I don't get it, because I'm a consumer and not one that is inclined to get into the depths of what makes an album a good one; I just sit back and listen to the tunes and decide from how much or how little they move me, if they're good ones. I've been reading what you have been talking about but eh... In the interviews that I read, Damon said there was enough material left over from writing the Blur album to throw together a Gorillaz one. In my mind they would be separate things with a different feeling and thought process behind them, otherwise all it would be is a leftover Blur album? Bringing in someone else to produce would add to that "feeling" and turn it away from just being Blurs soggy leftovers, right? Which is why "Fall" and "Plastic Beach", for example, didn't sound like the previous albums. Because he produced them himself and the vibe shifted away from being Gorillaz and more towards what he is more familiar with, Blur-ish.

Is that right or am I still floundering in the pool and getting no closer to the edge?

Oh, and hello Bass.

hello!

No, you've got the right idea. Producers (when not sent to make an album more radio-friendly via a major label) really are there to pull the best out of each song, and to get the best performance and the most sincerity out of an artist.

Also, I do want to add one quick note about "The Fall".

I'll get flack for this, but in some ways I actually prefer it to most Phase 3 music.

I'm aware that it doesn't have the timeless Gorillaz tunes on it (although I love Revolving Doors and Little Pink Plastic Bags), but the one thing it does have is the feeling of Damon doing whatever the heck he wants, you know?

He's sitting on a bus, with an iPad, putting his feelings into the music however he wants to. He wasn't trying to stick to a specific sound he had already done, or try to write any radio hits. In many ways, that IS the push behind Gorillaz.

Another note about The Fall: There was a producer. Stephen Sedgwick. I'm not sure how much of a role he played, but I think having someone else there maybe encouraged Damon to worry less about radio hits, and more about experimentation.

That's the weird thing about PB, too...no producer, and yet you can almost tell that Damon was trying to write radio-type hits, or something. I'm still not 100% sure what the intention behind the album is.

Gorillaz = Hip hop funky experimental album, a bunch of people having a ton of fun writing weird songs.

Demon Days = Getting through very dark times, very melancholy sound overall, with a recurring theme.

Plastic Beach = Lyrics about...Plastic Beach, I guess? The overall theme is still uncertain to me.

The Fall = Returning to the experimental side of things (compared to PB) in order to cope with homesickness/life on the road.

I understand why The Fall wasn't very popular, but over the years I've really grown to like it for what it is, and in many ways it feels more sincere than Plastic Beach, though not as complete.

spyder1070 posted this on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:38 am | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

Ah, thank you very much.

I certainly hope you don't get flack for saying that, given that enough time has surely passed for people to have a far more adult debate about other peoples opinions on things. Either way, I feel that some of the songs on "Fall" have more depth than those on "Plastic Beach".

Having said that though, I admit that I didn't like "Fall" at first, but after a few more listens a few of the songs that I had initially hated have begun to grow on me. Mostly it's because I've read conversations here and on GU and taken on board what was said, then gone back and listened again with a different mindset. Sometimes that's all it takes I suppose?

Perhaps it's just me, but at times while listening to a song on "Fall" now, I can almost imagine the scenery moving by the window of the bus and see Damon's reflection in it as he was creating the song. Every now and then he would look up and out of the window, allowing the quiet landscapes and bustling city that passes by him to influence the way the songs sound.

Either way, once again I thank you very much for your answer. ^^

pandemonia posted this on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:16 am | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

THE SKY IS FALLING BABY DROP THAT ASS FO IT CRASH

HIGHER!!!!!!!!!!

Nesplayer posted this on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:45 am | View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailMSN MessengerReply with quote

ALL THESE LIBERATED WOMAN SITTIN' OM MAH LAP

TELL THE INVISIBLE MAN TO FU CK OFF