gorillaz.com :: View topic - Anyone here actually still a fan...?
Look for posts from Noodle Look for posts from Murdoc Look for posts from Russel Look for posts from 2D  
FAQ SEARCH MEMBERS LIST PROFILE REGISTER LOGIN
forum list Kong studios Gorillaz fan site

Forum List - General chit-chat - Anyone here actually still a fan...?

P O S T S

Are you still a fan of Gorillaz?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
I listen to them occasionally or once in a while
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Not really
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

Shadow Colosuss posted this on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:57 pm | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

Anyone here actually still a fan...?

Some years back I remember someone made a post like this. For the life of me, I can't remember if it was a post on a thread or if someone made a thread about this topic. But it really got me thinking just how many users who frequented this board at the time (mainly 2007-2009) were actually still fans of Gorillaz. So, do any of you guys still consider yourself die-hard Gorillaz fans or do you occasionally listen to their newer material just to see where they're at? Or maybe you just log in for nostalgia? You tell me.

As for me, well, I'll be frank. I was the "average" Gorillaz fan. By that, I mean that I mainly just listened to their music and paid very minor attention to what album the song came from or what "phase" they were in. I mean, make no mistake, I was a fan. I did read up on the characters' fictional biographies and the whole Demon Days story arc. I just wasn't purchasing merchandise or anything like that. But no doubt there were fans who were exceedingly more knowledgeable and dedicated than I was. And to be even more honest, I pretty much stopped listening to them after 2007. Plastic Beach did not hold my interest at all and I only recently learned that they released a new album, Humanz, in April of 2017. Not gonna lie, I'm not interested. Gorillaz does indeed hold a special place in my heart, but I'm definitely not the fan I used to be which, again, was just "average" to begin with.

kimono owls posted this on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:46 pm | View user's profileSend private messageMSN MessengerReply with quote

no

somekid posted this on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:05 pm | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

Ya I miss the old King Studios days. Literally haven’t been on since like 2005 and just logged in cuz I randomly thought about it. This place used to be poppin

DJP3DRO posted this on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:19 am | View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN MessengerReply with quote

Humanz is moderately good.

It's a little depressing to watch, though. Saturnz Barz was obviously very low-budget and watching it I was like "oh, well, if they need to cheap out a little it's worth it for more videos" and then it turns out that's actually the best they can do. The rest was bad-looking 3D models that were very obviously animated with a Kinect or something.

The glory days are over and we're never gonna get anything like the Demon Days era ever again, basically. I kinda prefer they'd just end it if Jamie doesn't want to draw the same four characters over and over again, not that I blame him.

"Dude this thing says I have mail!" "It's amazing what we can do with computers nowadays." "Dude now I'm reading it!" "I'm so happy for you."

DJP3DRO posted this on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:24 am | View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN MessengerReply with quote

Also holy great that massively mobile app was a terrible sad replacement for the online games even for this pared-back low-budget phase.

"Dude this thing says I have mail!" "It's amazing what we can do with computers nowadays." "Dude now I'm reading it!" "I'm so happy for you."

Shadow Colosuss posted this on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:44 am | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by DJP3DRO:
Humanz is moderately good.

It's a little depressing to watch, though. Saturnz Barz was obviously very low-budget and watching it I was like "oh, well, if they need to cheap out a little it's worth it for more videos" and then it turns out that's actually the best they can do. The rest was bad-looking 3D models that were very obviously animated with a Kinect or something.

The glory days are over and we're never gonna get anything like the Demon Days era ever again, basically. I kinda prefer they'd just end it if Jamie doesn't want to draw the same four characters over and over again, not that I blame him.

I saw the Saturnz Barz music video.

Although I do enjoy animation, I am no connoisseur. I feel that the animation, although on the characters was fluid in both (maybe even a bit more in Saturnz Barz), it was not on par with Feel Good Inc.'s. or El Mañana's. FGI and EM's animation, especially with the sky/clouds, the flying windmill island, and the colors were so much more dazzlingly beautiful and vibrant. Despite both videos being released about twelve years ago at the time of this post, it's still as stunning and gorgeous today as it was back when it was first released. I had also read several years later that the messages in the songs were very deep. It was obvious that Mr. Albarn and Mr. Hewlett really tried to create something remarkable during the Demon Days era. Needless to say they were successful in their goal.

I agree with you on Saturnz Barz. It was painfully obvious right from the get-go that the production quality of it is rather low. As I said above, the animation on the characters is pretty decent, but the CGI is dreadfully abysmal. If someone had isolated those monster models and showed them to me, I would guess they came from some bizarre Playstation 2-era game or from a movie released by Vídeo Brinquedo. Also, I think the song itself is nothing memorable. I really can't describe what it is, I just find it boring and it puts me to sleep.

I also saw the music video for Strobelite. I knew right off the bat that it was animated with motion capture technology. It was very cringeworthy to see, as it looked like it was a scene made for a live-action Gorillaz movie with a dance scene in a nightclub written into it. I like the song slightly better than Saturnz Barz, but again, it was nothing special to me. I'm not trying to just repeatedly bash on Humanz, it's just that it was a very unimpressive production to me.

In regards to your final statement about how you feel Gorillaz has run its course and both Damon and Jamie should move on to other projects, my sentiment's exactly. I'm sure both artists know how great and ground-breaking their project was and in many cases still is and it's clear that they both dished out a ton of money and effort into providing great songs and music videos over the years. But one time I had read somewhere that Jamie admitted he was sick of drawing these four characters. I also don't blame him. It had a great run, but I think it's time to put it to rest.

Also, I'd like to know where you obtained your information on that it was "the best they could do".

newbieandalwayswillbe posted this on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:19 am | View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailReply with quote

Humanz crushed my soul a little on first listen. It's disappointing that they decided to go the direction they did, with that being said the album and bonus tracks are not bereft of value in my eyes. There are definitely some bangers but.. this is the first time I can truly say a Gorillaz album hasn't enraptured me completely from beginning to end... Even The Fall made me come around some years later... But it is pretty wild that they are so active right now.. I am hoping maybe the choices for how they produced the album had a lot to do with how little I enjoyed this album.. Hopefully that can be changed for their next release which I hear they are working on as I speak now.. Here's to that and hopefully they come back with some interactivity again.. That's definitely the thing I miss the most...

discord: d.wllt#3899

blood posted this on Sat May 12, 2018 9:43 pm | View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteReply with quote

fun yeah. I saw them In LA back. Took a train from NorCal in the middle of the school week. They killed their set and would totally go see them again. Great musicianship honestly. And I do enjoy the few bangers on Humanz, but i do not like about half the album :/

hot bullet slug posted this on Fri May 18, 2018 7:20 am | View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerReply with quote

I still am but it's been a weird time....Fo sure.

Kiwihead_92 posted this on Thu May 31, 2018 3:30 am | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

yes Gorillaz fan till I die

Shadow Colosuss posted this on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:36 am | View user's profileSend private messageReply with quote

Well, I can see the relatively small number of people who log in here every once in a while are, for the most part, still fans. At least that's what the poll indicates.
That's a lot more than I had anticipated. Interesting.

Anyway, I got some interesting or tragic news depending on where you stand but I imagine most of you already know this. The next Gorillaz album, The Now Now, is set to be released on June 29th, 2018. I actually only found this out on Wikipedia's "Did you know...?" section, thus amplifying my status as "average" lol. I guess prominent Gorillaz fans would be excited by this news but I personally found the reasons for this faster-than-usual release quite disheartening.

Apparently, Damon stated some of the main reasons for making this new album so abruptly was because he felt Jamie and himself were getting old and just want more material to play for future concerts. Apologies for sounding like a prude, but I find that information quite telling.

At this point they're just doing it for money and seeing how long they can ride the gravy train. I know I may be pleasantly surprised, but I am not getting my hopes up.